Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Ucar Bike Club and Other News

So I know that it has been a while since I have posted so I guess I better give it another crack. I am approaching the half way point of my service and it things are again in transition. The previous group of volunteers are leaving to be replaced with a new group that will be coming next month. Although i will miss the friends that I have made in the previous group it will be nice to have a new group come in. Ucar is getting two new volunteers which will really change things up here for me. Thus far I have been the only one in my community and it has been a little lonely. I am looking forward to having some company.

As for work, I have been a little busier as of late with my newest project the bicycle club. It has been a ton of fun and a pretty big hit in Ucar. We bought ten bikes from Baku in October and have been showing them off around Ucar. We have been doing weekly rides around the city and they get quite a lot of attention from everyone. A line of ten kids in helmets riding bikes and ringing the bells is a bit strange in Ucar. Luckily almost all of the responses from community members has been very positive. Everyone wants a chance to ride the bikes even the older men of the community. It is actually really funny to watch how they act when they get on the bikes. They change from dour and serious old men to little kids laughing and ringing the bells like mad.

At the moment it has gotten a little too cold to do much riding but we hope to start back up in the spring when it warms up again. I am very much looking forward to it. Below are some pictures from our first ride.
















4 comments:

  1. Hey, Dan! So good to hear from you! Ella liked looking at the pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was way cute Dan, we miss you! I really enjoyed reading your post and hope to see more! I can totally picture those sour old men going crazy over those bikes, I bet it was a kick in the pants. :) Oh, and I am working on my own blog, so once I get around to posting you can check it out! Love, Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Dan, riding bicycles in Ucar was an odd experience.

    This is Nate, the grimy biker who stayed with you back in late June.

    Update, Jaco and I made it to the coast in China a few days ago, and now with expired visas we are in Hong Kong. We just made it.

    But what I want to say is thank you for hosting us in Ucar, saving our asses that day. That was most legit. And thank you for the loads of coffee. That was the best coffee I had for a long long time, until Yunnan Province in China, really. But yeah, you and dozens of others showed us such great hospitality, it was the best part of the trip. Inspiring, in a word.

    Good luck with the 2nd half of your service, sounds like things will be picking up in "the Ghost Town where the people haven't left". I'm off to Australia in a few days where I'll be for the next year picking fruit and wandering around, then I'm hoping to catch a boat to Latin America and riding back to California from there. Someday in the Pacific NW we should share some IPAs. I would like that.

    Word. Keep it true,

    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly and Mindy, glad you liked the post. Looking forward to your blog Kelly and Mindy as always enjoying yours.

    Nate, good to hear from you and glad to hear that you and Jaco were able to make it all the way to China. Thanks for the good wishes and good luck in you travels and keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete